Holiday Let Fire Regulations

Home » Holiday Let Fire Regulations
Holiday let fire safety cottages

Do I need to do a fire risk assessment holiday let?

Indeed, in October 2006 the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005 was introduced. Therefore, it is a legal requirement should you provide accommodation with paying guests to do a fire risk assessment. This applies to all types of accommodation from Airbnb, self-catering flat, apartment, house, cottage or caravan you rent out for a short term.

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies to England and Wales

Fire safety legislation other than England and Wales.

In Scotland, the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005 and the Fire Safety (Scotland) Regulations 2006 apply. In Northern Ireland, the relevant legislation is the Fire and Rescue Services (Northern Ireland) Order 2006.

What are your responsibilities?

Firstly, you must carry out a fire risk assessment on holiday let. This will identify the fire safety measures that you need to have in place to keep people safe.

Secondly, you must also act on any risks and hazards found.

Thirdly, review your fire risk assessment regularly and whenever there has been a significant change that could impact it, such as if you add another guest bedroom, or change the layout of the property. The fire service recommends you review your holiday let risk assessment at least annually.

Then, make sure equipment is regularly serviced and periodic testing or inspections take place. This includes: fire alarm systems, gas appliances, electrical appliances, and any emergency lighting systems which can be used should the mains lights fail (as identified in the fire risk assessment).

Finally, you will need to keep records of all testing and maintenance.

It is a legal requirement to comply with fire safety law.

Fire Service expectations

Holiday let fire safety fire service

The fire service are responsible for policing the fire safety order. They will inspect holiday let accommodation and they will expect the below.

  • An appropriate fire detection and warning system for the size and type of premises.
  • Measures to ensure people can see their way out should the mains lighting fail.
  • Clearly defined escape routes kept free of blockages.
  • Doors on escape routes, including bedroom doors, and final exit doors, should be simple to open without the use of a key.
  • Self-closing solid fitting timber internal doors where distances are less than 12 metres. They will protect escape routes and separate high fire risk rooms. For longer travel distances, you will need fire doors to protect escape routes.
  • Information for guests on what to do if they discover a fire or hear the alarm.
  • Evidence of regular testing and maintenance of equipment.
  • Multi-purpose fire extinguishers for each floor, and a fire blanket in the kitchen.
  • Fire exit signs showing alternative fire exits.
  • Well maintained chimneys and wood burners.

Can I carry out a fire risk assessment myself?

Of course, If you think you have the knowledge, experience and appropriate level of understanding fire safety. However, the fire service strongly recommend that you employ an accredited fire risk assessor to do one for you. After all, If you do not meet their requirements then this may lead to enforcement action, prosecution, fines or imprisonment.

Help with your holiday let fire regulations

Should you require help with carrying out a fire risk assessment then we are just a click away. Remember, we are qualified and accredited fire risk assessors. Therefore, we will ensure you get a correct and sufficient fire risk assessment for your holiday let.

Special price from £185: Call us now or use our contact page below